Monday, August 30, 2010

Clemson's Herman McGee - by Wild Bill

From 1 Bowater

"If Clemson athletes of the 20th century were asked the question, "Who was the most respected administrator you met during your Clemson career?" chances are Herman McGee's name would be the most popular answer.


McGee served Clemson as a head trainer, equipment manager and assistant trainer between 1934-80 and the 46-year run as a full-time employee is a record among all Clemson administrators or coaches.

McGee served most of his career in the Clemson Athletic training center where he probably taped more ankles than anyone in history. It was his wise and caring demeanor that drew Clemson athletes to seek his advice for 46 years. Starting with the 1939 Cotton Bowl, McGee traveled with the Clemson football team to its first 10 bowl games, and he also made four trips to the College World Series with the Tiger baseball team.


In 1976, just four years prior to his death, he was inducted into the Clemson Athletic Hall of Fame. He was the first African American inducted into the Clemson Hall of Fame."


"What I did know about Herman McGee until I moved here was what I learned from my dad.  My dad loved Herman like a father.  On those occasions when we would visit with Herman in the late 1960s and early 1970s, my dad would almost always say as we were leaving, "I would have never survived here had it not been for him.  He saved my life on more than one occasion."  It was only until a few years ago as I watched the movie Rudy that I had some sense of what Herman had done for my dad and so many young men who felt isolated, homesick and in way over their heads.  Herman had been a friend, a father and a cheerleader to my dad during the worst of times, just like the Notre Dame stadium maintenance man had been for Rudy."

Herman McGee worked for Clemson for 46 years as a Head Trainer and Equipment Manager.  Herman, an African American, was born in the town of Clemson in 1918, He served in the US Army for 4.5 years prior going to work for Clemson's Athletic Department.
Herman, like so many of my Clemson brothers, was my mentor and he always took care of his boys.  I will share two of my memories of Herman.
Clemson was playing the University of Georgia.  UGA is only 70 miles from Clemson so we rode chartered buses.  When we pulled into Athens, Herman was first off the bus.  Representatives from UGA met our bus.  Herman came to attention, straightened his fedora hat, and announced in a clear, proud voice.  "Tell them Clemson is Here!"   
One of our starting tailbacks wife had a baby boy.  When I went to the equipment window for practice that afternoon, Herman was there.  Herman said " This morning I announced the birth of Jackie's baby boy to the World.  I said "Herman how was that?"  Herman responded "At sun up I took my shot gun and three shells into the front yard.  The first shot I fired was for the Mama.  The second shot was for the Daddy. The third shot was  for the baby boy!  You know if a baby is properly announced, he will be healthy, grow strong and be proud!" 
Herman was a very good man who loved his boys. God rest my friend.  I know you smile when the Tigers take the field!  Yes, When I was down and out with my knee injury, Herman helped save my life!
Wild Bill 

No comments:

Post a Comment